Thursday, April 22, 2010

One day in kindergarten, I decided to tackle the monkey bars. I had enviously watched the previous day while Courtney Macintire hung upside-down, and swung gracefully back and forth. Determined to master this feat, I sized up the bars, and looked down at the fluffy pink dress my mother had stuffed my unwilling self into that morning. If I hung upside-down from the monkey bars, my dress would fall down, exposing my ruffled white underpants to the playground. My brilliant 5-year-old solution to this was to promptly tuck my dress into my underpants, thereby preventing my dress from falling down. I marched determinedly towards the monkey bars. In the 25 years since this date, I've found that many of my life's decisions have echoed this scheme in both intelligence and outcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment